“Our guests at Olde Square Inn love this coffee cake recipe because it is so rich and dense and delicious, and it often makes an appearance as one of the stars in our three-course breakfast.
Thick with blueberries – or whatever exquisite ripe fruit might be in season – it makes a fabulous dish to serve before bringing out the main entree. Sometimes we even have it as a dessert with a big dollop of homemade whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
The recipe makes about 12 right-sized servings. If you haven’t devoured any leftovers with a hot cup of coffee during your morning break, this scrumptious cake will freeze well and return as fresh as ever when you thaw it at room temperature. So good!”
Olde Square Inn’s Blueberry Crumb Coffee Cake Recipe
- 5 T butter (not margarine)
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 t. vanilla
- 2 c. flour
- 2 1/4 t. baking powder
- 1/2 t. salt
- 3/4 c. whole milk
- 2 c. blueberries
- 6 T butter (not margarine)
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. flour
- Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Beat in half the flour mixture.
- Beat in milk.
- Add the rest of the flour and beat only until combined.
- Stir in fruit.
- Pour into an 8 x 11″ greased baking dish.
- Use a fork or your fingers to smash together topping ingredients until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes.
Olde Square Inn is a beautifully restored Colonial Revival era home offering you luxurious accommodations in a quaint small-town location with easy access to area attractions. Their three-course breakfast, 24-hour coffee and treats, and in-ground swimming pool make this a warm and comfortable place to stay in Lancaster County.