Welcome to Mount Joy
The town of Mount Joy was founded by Scots-Irish immigrants. It’s name comes from an Irish supply ship (the Mountjoy) that broke through a river blockade in Ireland in 1688-89. Today’s Mount Joy is comprised of the three original towns of Florin, Richland, and Mount Joy (the latter two are separate National Register Historic Districts). The towns combined in 1851.
Mount Joy is located between Manheim and the river towns of Western lancaster County along what was once the Harrisburg-Lancaster Turnpike, the major road between Lancaster and Harrisburg. Today that road is called the Harrisburg Pike (Pennsylvania Route 230).
In 1721 the Donegal Presbyterian Church was established between what is now Maytown and Mount Joy. The church was granted a 200-acre tract of land from the William Penn family. In 1777 the congregation gathered under the former Witness Tree to pledge their allegiance to the American Revolution. The Lancaster County Historical Society believes it is the oldest church in continuous use.
Spangler’s Flour Mill began operating in 1854, and is still in operation today.
In 1889 a Bavarian immigrant named Alois Bube (Boo’-bee) built the Central House Hotel and a brewery. They have been in almost continuous operation since then. Today, Bube’s Brewery is a restaurant and microbrewery.
Much of the residential architecture of downtown Mount Joy dates from before 1939, although many outlying developments have been built since.
In 2002 Mount Joy Borough was designated a Main Street Community by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
The fourth Friday of every month Mount Joy hosts their special Fourth Fridays events.